October 07, 2017

Review: Dear Aaron by Mariana Zapata



Title: Dear Aaron
Author: Mariana Zapata
Series: none
Genre: contemporary romance

Ruby Santos knew exactly what she was getting herself into when she signed up to write a soldier overseas.

The guidelines were simple: one letter or email a week for the length of his or her deployment. Care packages were optional.

Been there, done that. She thought she knew what to expect.

What she didn’t count on was falling in love with the guy.



Amazon US | Amazon UK






SANDY’S REVIEW


I must say I’m tad bit disappointed after reading this book. I’ve heard so much about this author’s work and received, even more, recommendations from my friends to read her books. Wish I had picked one of those instead of diving blindly into this book. I must say the writing is spectacular and has an engaging storyline but what didn’t work out for me was the execution of the plot.

Emailing/texting took up a better part of the story. While it’s interesting to have this way of conversation in a story when the main characters haven’t seen one another but in this case, the author pushed it beyond your normal limits of tolerance. This in itself was a shortcoming since we never get inside their heads and there’s practically no character development. When they finally do meet, I failed to connect with them and the ending was abrupt with a vague epilogue.

Nevertheless, I liked the characters especially Ruby and her crazy overbearing family. Though she seemed sensitive, her struggle and insecurities felt real. Wish I could say the same about Aaron but literally, I feel like I don’t know him at all. When Ruby was having repeated inner monologues, we never get to see or hear his thoughts or feel his emotions. That being said there was a lot of funny and heart-warming moments, enjoyable if you like slow burn romance. I will definitely read more books from her in the future.


No comments

Post a Comment

+up