April 17, 2016

Review: The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses #1) by Amy Harmon



Title: The Law of Moses
Author: Amy Harmon
Series: The Law of Moses #1
Genre: contemporary romance, paranormal

If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.

Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.

It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.

And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.

And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story.



Amazon US | Amazon UK






SANDY’S REVIEW


The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

description

The story

Moses was born to a drug addict mother who left him in a basket outside laundromat, since he was predicted to have all sort of mental illness he was called “crack baby” and apparently named after biblical Moses. With abandoned mother and long line of living relatives he was juggled between the family members until he finally decides to stay with his great-grandmother in Levan a small town in Utah. Life was not easy for Moses; though he was a talented artist, he terrified many with his unusual behaviour and didn’t have any friends because of that. Georgia, a strong headed cowgirl lives next door to Moses, like others she knew the story of baby Moses while growing up, what scared others drew her to him. She was fascinated by his troubled demeanor and wanted to be his friend. Even though Moses liked her too, kept his distance from her knowing well aware he is not normal like others nor does he is capable of loving. Georgia is very much persistent about befriending Moses, he finally gives in and they spend lot of time together that summer. Meanwhile he was speculated of killing missing teenage girls as he had a bizarre way of conveying his message through paintings and being at wrong place at wrong time making him a prime suspect. When things get rough Moses maintains his distance with Georgia, guarding his secret from her and letting everyone think he’s crazy, a secret so utterly terrifying changes the course of their lives.
Click on this spoiler if you want to know his secret

description

The characters

Moses was cold, distant and complex character for me. Most of the time he left me confused and I had to keep assuming what he felt because clearly the author didn’t specify much of his inner thoughts except ‘I can’t love’ that certainly doesn’t simplifies his emotions , he kept pushing Georgia away and later

after finding out truth about his dead kid, he decides to leave the town for good and out of blue he wants to stay and win her back!!! Now where did that come from??
On other hand Georgia was supposed to be feisty tough girl, but why was she being so doormat-ish? I know she was persistent about knowing Moses, but she kept running back to him a lott! Also

moses left her without so much of a message or call but towards the she forgives him easily and bam!! They are in each other’s arms kissing *rolls eyes*
I understand it's second chance romance and they were supposed to end up together but the constant switching of their feelings left me feelingless.

The writing

This is not my first Amy Harmon novel. I loved and devoured her “making faces” where there’s heavy load of emotions and great message of love, life and friendship and I was super excited to read this. Honestly I’m so disappointed with this one. First half was so boring, too much inner monologues and vague description of Moses’s appearance (he’s black btw which I found much later) 

My thoughts

The blurb prepares us to endure so much pain and heartbreak but I didn’t feel either of it. It’s safe to say now I didn’t connect to this story or the characters at all. There were times when I felt sad for certain characters but didn’t cry buckets. I was bored for better part of the story and the plot was kind of predictable. The only saving grace was second half, which was a complete page turner and thanks to Jasmine for the sneak peek about the ending which piqued my curiosity and made me “not skim pages” till the end.

Even with so many flaws there were few things I really liked:

#1 Five greats: To think of 5 good things we are definitely grateful for in the time of despair.
#2 Eli:

I love this little guy, only mature person to put some senses into Moses and bring his parents together. I so wish he was alive :(
#3 Equine Therapy: Horses were a major part of this story. I got to learn so much about those beautiful creatures, they are not just meant for speed and strength but reflect human personality and promote emotional growth.
#4 Paintings:

the paranormal aspect of seeing dead people and conveying their messages through painting was quite fascinating!

The only thing that touched me in this entire story was

Eli and Moses relatonship. Moses learns about his son only after he dies but the irony is he sees him, shares his memories, lives his life but through Eli’s ghost and the thought of never touching him, holding him the pain of losing him again was heartfelt and beauty of it was he got to know his son even if he’s too late!!

No comments

Post a Comment

+up