March 08, 2016

Review: Leo by Mia Sheridan


Title: Leo
Author: Mia Sheridan
Series: A Sign of Love Novel
Genre: contemporary romance, second chance, new adult
A USA Today bestselling book. Leo is a full-length, standalone romance.

Evie and Leo met in foster care as children and formed a bond of friendship. As they grew, their bond turned to love, and they vowed to make a life together when they turned 18 and were no longer a part of the system.

When Leo unexpectedly gets adopted as a teen and moves to another city, he promises Evie that he will contact her as soon as he gets there and come back for her in a few short years. She never hears from him again.

Now eight years later, in spite of the odds, Evie has made a life for herself. She has a job. She has friends. She's content. Then a man shows up out of the blue, claiming that her long lost love, Leo, sent him to check up on her. The attraction between them is undeniable. But, should she trust this sexy stranger? Or is he keeping a secret about what his connection to Leo is really all about and why Leo disappeared all those years ago?

THIS IS A STANDALONE SIGN OF LOVE NOVEL, INSPIRED BY LEO. New Adult Contemporary Romance: Due to strong language and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.



Amazon US | Amazon UK






FLO'S REVIEW


Leo by Mia Sheridan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.75 **so sweet** STARS



“Why are you looking at me?”
“Because I like your face.”


This was such an exciting read for me. My very first Mia Sheridan book. Now most of my friends suggested to start with some of her later works, but for those of you who know me I'm pretty peculiar and very insistent on reading in order. Without an actual series order I went with release date. So Leo it was. And what a sweet and moving book to get the ball rolling. A solid first book by Ms. Sheridan and something that made me very interested in more.


“Maybe I’m an open book, or maybe love is like a magnifying glass straight into the souls of those who own your heart.”


Leo tells the story of two kids who grew up in foster care. Leo and Evie first met when they were 11 and 10 years old. Stuck in a cruel system with no one to rely on but themselves. That was until they learned how to trust and support each other. A beautiful friendship grew into a strong and unmovable love.

Until one day when Evie was 14 years old Leo was suddenly adopted and had to move away. They promised to never lose their bond and stay connected until they could be together again. It's been eight years since Evie last heard from the love of her life and she lost hope long ago that she would ever see him again.

Evie did the best she could with her life, but for all intents and purposes she is stuck in suspended animation, still waiting for her soulmate and trying to improve her life little by little. That changed the day she confronts her ‘stalker’, the handsome and mysterious Jake.


“All the world's a circus. Sometimes you choose your act and sometimes it's assigned to you. I had roamed the arena for far too long, roaring and bellowing, believing that I wasn't brave enough to leap through fire. But all along, she had stood there, constant and calm.”


I'm not going to lie, it was painfully obvious what was going on here. Nothing was really a big surprise. Despite some rather unexpected revelations towards the end the direction was clear from the start. And I didn't mind at all. The story was beautiful and heartwarming nevertheless. I enjoyed the writing, the carefully constructed characters and if you ae in the mood for a sweet and a little sexy second chance romance you should give this a try.

Since I’m writing this review after I already finished Leo’s Chance, the companion piece in Leo’s POV, I want to mention that I very much suggest reading the second book if you liked Leo. It is very rare that the same story written from different character's viewpoint gets my attention or better yet holds that attention long enough for me to finish reading.

I have to say it was a very well rounded and very enjoyable addition. For the most part I even think Leo's Chance was the better book overall, the writing was improved (if that is even possible) and Leo's voice was very strong and well developed. In hindsight the different vantage point was probably needed to really tell the story. Leo’s Chance didn’t really disclose anymore than Leo did, but it was a lot more emotional and gut wrenching even. I have to confess tears were involved...more than once. Both books together make a really good complete picture and both have their right to exist next to each other.

All in all, an enjoyable read and from what I've seen so far, Ms. Sheridan is an author to check out.

No comments

Post a Comment

+up